Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The art of writing and speaking in a business context

In the beginning of her presentantion Lesley Emanuel used the phrase," Credit goes to the man who convinces the world, not to the man to whom the idea first occurs.- Sir Francis Bacon". This is important because good and effective communication in a business takes place when a person conveys his/her thoughts, ideas, feelings in a way that enables the receiver to obtain an accurate and clear picture of the intended message. Lesley emphasised that business writing is an extremely important extension of a business/company. As an academic person I am now faced with the challenge of changing my writing to fit a business context and that goes to even emailing. I can imagine that most daily running-business depends on conveying a message, receiving, reading and answering different messages.
For business writing I have to be concise, clear, choose my words carefully and proof read my messages.I greatly appreciate Lesley's tip for organising information and that is the sprat tool . According to this I have to look at the situation first, then the problem, resolution, action and thanks.


While writing is one thing, speaking is another thing. The two speakers Des and Robert alerted me that there is a difference of presenting to your peers/colleagues at varsity and presenting at a company. I must say I can never get over the feeling of standing up,presenting and to people I do not know. But there are points I am taking with from Des and Rob's presentation and that is:

  • Presenting (know my audience,rehearse, and prepare venue and equipments).
  • Purpose (grab attention, give clear message, spell out the relevance of the topic and give examples).
  • Presence (as speaker I should establish my presence).
  • Passion (if you have drive, people will believe you).
  • Personality (as a speaker I should always remember to be myself).

2 Comments:

Blogger Roy Blumenthal said...

Hey Mpho...

One of the ways you test the validity of those obervations is by looking at the people delivering seminars to you during this course.

Are they making an impression on you? What can you learn from their presentation skills? What should you adopt? What should you definitely NOT do?

By the way... while the content of this post is great, you've definitely not proofread it! Your headline has a major spelling error on it. And there are loads of other little errors.

I'm not gonna spell them out for you. Ask your buddies to help you out.

Blue skies
love
Roy

PS: Change your comments settings to allow all comments.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Psychewellbeing said...

Thank you Roy for alerting me to my spelling errors.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home